GARDA ADVICE ON HOME SECURITY
- Fit a door viewer and a door chain/limiter. These will allow you to safely check callers and retain control over security.
- If you think a caller is suspicious do not let him/her in.
- Front and rear doors and windows should be kept locked day and night.
- Before answering a call to the front door, make sure the back door is locked.
- Never allow a stranger enter your home unless you are satisfied as to their identity and the reason for their visit.
- Remember callers may not be who they say they are!. Some reasons like “I’ve had an accident”, “I’ve broken down”, “I’m from the council” can be bogus.
- Bogus callers can be male or female, young or old – do not be fooled by the caller’s appearance.
- While it is your decision, it is recommended that you do not give money at the door to strangers.
- Don’t be intimidated by callers. Always ask for identification first and check if it is genuine with a phone call if necessary.
- Under no circumstances should you provide callers at the door or on the phone with your personal bank account number, your credit/debit card details, social welfare numbers or other personal details.
- Do not leave old and no longer relevant financial statements lying around. Shred as appropriate.
- Keep a list of easily accessible emergency numbers that you can refer to quickly, if required, e.g. family, neighbours, Gardai, medical or fire service.
- If you have a mobile phone, ensure that you have emergency contact numbers recorded under the ICE (In Case of Emergency) system.
CASH / FINANCIAL SECURITY
- Do not keep large amounts of cash in your home. Use banks, building societies, credit unions, and post offices.
- Keep all credit/debit cards in a secure location as well as financial statements and records.
- Out of date cards should be destroyed.
- Do not give your credit/debit card passwords to anybody.
- When out and about, avoid carrying large sums of money.
The Garda National Crime Prevention Unit, Garda H.Q. Harcourt Square, Dublin 2.
Tel: (01)6663362, Email: email@example.com, Website: www.garda.ie